The Chemistry department was established at Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore in 1956 under the Headship of Dr. D. Nageswara Rao (1956-1992). Presently, the department has eight well-experienced staff members with a strong desire for academic excellence and capable of handling under-graduate programmes like B.E., B.Tech., M.Phil and Ph.D.
Over the years, the Department of Chemistry has grown up and the following is the chronological order of the various courses introduced in our Department.
BE./ B.Tech. General Chemistry – 1956
BSc., Applied Sciences – 1972
M.Phil Applied Chemistry – 1986
M.Sc., Applied Chemistry – 1990
Ph.D. Chemistry – 1990
Presently the department is headed by Dr.G.Selvakumari since June 2017. The department has conducted AICTE, TEQIP sponsored faculty development programmes on environmental pollution, corrosion control, renewable energy, biofuels and applications of nanoscience in biotechnology and also conducted national and international conferences. It has received research funding and development grants from AICTE and DST SERB. Currently, 8 full time and 3 part time research scholars are working on nanomaterials, solar cells, biological applications and environmental studies.